Saturday, January 11, 2014

Indiana's historic synagogues are truly loved

Maggie of the Jewish Federation of St. Joseph Valley just sent me this wonderful video clip of the Sons of Israel synagogue in South Bend and the restoration work that was done there over the past few years. The synagogue is now a shop for baseball paraphernalia, but it has been immaculately restored and cared for.

The synagogue was built in 1901, making it the third-oldest synagogue still standing in Indiana (our very own Ahavas Sholom is the second-oldest), and boasts an incredible sanctuary, almost castle-like pillars, and an impressive facade. I have yet to visit the synagogue, but I have a feeling I will be going this summer to check out the building, see a baseball game and hopefully, get a kosher hot dog! I'm sure I can persuade my mom to come along... that won't be difficult!


No comments:

Post a Comment